Tree testing allows you to test navigation branches, before designing them.
A Tree test is a great way to validate the ease of finding items in your product structure.
How to create a Tree test:
- Open your draft Discovery project or create a new one.
- In the draft maze, choose Tree Test from the list of blocks.
- Type in your title and write a description.
- Create your Tree Structure based on your site structure
- You can view how the Tree Test will look on the right side of the draft maze page.
When to use a Tree test
- When testing the usability of your navigational items
- Validate ideas before designing
- Building a foundation for the design that will lay on top of your site structure.
Tree testing can answer questions like:
- Do my labels make sense?
- Is my content grouped logically?
- Can users find the information they want easily and quickly. If not, what's stopping them?
If designing from scratch, we recommend card sorting first, then tree testing. A Tree test does not require a prototype.